1 can coconut milk (do not shake)
Crust
1 cup oats
15 almonds
1 cup vegan graham wafer crumbs
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 heaping spoonfuls of the margarine you use

What you do: 

For this recipe you will need two mixing bowls and spoons. For the crust, a food processor or blender or coffee grinder and, of course, a pie plate.
Into a medium bowl, cut up the strawberries, add blueberries. Spoon in the sweetener, mix and set aside.
In the food processor, grind oats to flour, put in a bowl. Grind almonds until in very, very small pieces. Add to oats. How much you grind these depends on your preference, personally, I like some crunchiness.
Add graham wafer crumbs and sugar, mix it all together. Put in the butterish stuff and cream until it is an even texture. Press evenly into a pie plate, bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, or until you can smell the goodness.
Back to the fruit, the juices will be melding together. Open the coconut milk: this is important: do not shake! Take the thick part off the top, the rest is just water and would make the mixture too runny. Mix the cream part in with the fruit. Put the filling into the crust and store in fridge until ready to serve.
Keeps quite well in the freezer. This is also good to just eat the filling! MMMMMmmmmmmm tasty... you could also use vegan whipped cream instead of coconut cream. Whatever suits your fancy, it's all good.

Preparation Time: 
35 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I made this for a company picnic, and it was a hit!  The coconut flavor isn't overpowering, and it has this great, fresh, summery flavor.

When I made this, one can of coconut milk was semi-mixed, so i strained it through some paper towels in a colander, which worked well.  I even did that to the cream part of the other cans that were separated, and i think it helped to create a richer filling.

0 likes

It is really important to only use the creamy thick part of the coconut milk. The recipe on this site for raw coconut cream would work really well, though I have yet to try it with that. I have canned coconut milk much more frequently than a coconut! I make a bunch and store a couple pies in the freezer and put them in the fridge the morning that I'm going to serve it. The melding time is quite important...

0 likes

I registered on this site just so I could leave a review.  I made this the other night and it was AWFUL!  I should have known better as I'm not a big coconut fan.  I decided to try it the next day after it sat in the fridge and OMG was it YUMMY!  This definitely needed time for the flavors to meld.  I only used strawberries.

I do have one question, it's quit a bit runny and I have to keep it in the freezer to set.  (This would make an excellent alternative to ice cream!)

0 likes