Katti's Black Bean Burgers & Condiments

What you need: 

extra virgin olive oil
1 small chopped onion
1 chopped red pepper
4 cloves minced garlic
cumin
cayenne pepper
1 15 oz. can of black beans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans)
1/2 cup brown rice
2 cups rolled oats
sea salt
whole wheat (or spelt) buns

What you do: 

In small saucepan, bring to a boil one cup of water with 2 tablespoon of butter and some sea salt. After it boils, add ½ cup of brown rice, reduce to low, cover until rice absorbs all the water.
Next, in a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and seasonings and cook for about one minute. Add onion and red pepper and cook while stirring frequently till soft and onions are translucent, set aside.
In a big bowl, combine beans, cooked rice, and onion/garlic/pepper mixture. Mix in food processor and return to bowl.
Add breadcrumbs and stir to mix well. Form into patties (about 8) and transfer to the grill for 3-5 minutes each side. Serve inside whole wheat buns with condiments below.
CONDIMENTS:I serve these with homemade condiments of cilantro mayonnaise and salsa. Here are the recipes for both of those.
SALSA1 onion2 tomatoes1 jalapenocilantrolime juice
Chop first 4 ingredients and mix well. Squeeze lime juice over salsa, mix, and serve.
CILANTRO MAYO½ cup of Vegenaisecilantrocumin
Chop cilantro and stir in ½ cup of Vegenaise. Sprinkle some cumin, mix, and serve.

Preparation Time: 
an hour
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
6-8
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

WOW. Passive aggressive much?
Perhaps requesting the administrator to EDIT the recipe to read correctly would be a better idea?

:o

Where do the oats come in in this recipe?

I'm with you on this one. There are no oats in the directions. Furthermore the recipe says to use breadcrumbs in the directions but they are not included in the recipe.

I'm on day 3 of going Vegan and need some good recipes. Will try this over the weekend.

Ilene

It's not hard. Add the oats where the recipe says "breadcrumbs." It's only a typo, not the end of the world.

0 likes

I'm with you on this one. There are no oats in the directions. Furthermore the recipe says to use breadcrumbs in the directions but they are not included in the recipe.

I'm on day 3 of going Vegan and need some good recipes. Will try this over the weekend.

Ilene

It's not hard. Add the oats where the recipe says "breadcrumbs." It's only a typo, not the end of the world.

0 likes

Ilene

0 likes

Thank you, Katti, for posting this recipe!

Very nice! I pretty much followed the recipe (except for added a few dashes of liquid smoke when the beans were cooking) and was pleased. I didn't grill but pan fried in olive oil. I took YabbitGirl's advice and dredged in bread crumbs. This gave nice crust on outside.

I started with veggie burgers and oatmeal burgers last year on this site. Would do them at least once per week, sometimes 2 or 3 times per week. So have tried most of the recipes on vegweb. This one was the best - easy to get firm in the middle, not mushy. High fiber and protein, rice added some carbs, beautiful crust on the outside. Looked exactly like the cruel/unhealthy versions.

I am with smithb. Where did the oatmeal get added? Also, was oatmeal 2 cups prepared or dry? I used dry, cause the bean mixture was wet (and still hot), so this soaked up oats fine. Also two cups of dry oats seemed steep (that would be at least 4 cups prepared), so I did about a cup, unprepared. I mixed them in with the beans/rice in the food processor stage, but I was guessing.

Definitely will do again and can't wait to serve them to flesh eaters!

0 likes

I am sure the oats need to be cooked, especially if you use steel cut. It sounds really good.

0 likes

Near the bottom of the ingredient list. Right there between "brown rice" and "sea salt."

But where in the recipe to you add them to this mixture?

0 likes

Near the bottom of the ingredient list. Right there between "brown rice" and "sea salt."

0 likes

0 likes

I wanted to report how the freezing turned out. The burgers were made and frozen on 12/11. We defrosted them in the fridge and ate them on 1/3. They turned out great...just as if they were freshly made. One thing I noted was that they fell apart a bit more than the ones I cooked fresh. But I will definitely freeze them again.

0 likes

I just tried the recipe today, and it was awesome. I am a meat eater trying to cut down on meat. These burgers taste just like a hamburger, but of course they are a lot healthier. The consistency was great. I dredged the burgers in bread crumbs before frying, and they didn't stick.
Thanks for posting this recipe.
I did put two burgers in the fridge for tomorrow and froze two for later. I will try to report back about how they turn out when I cook them.

0 likes

Pages