Member since April 2003

Split Pea Soup

What you need: 

2 cups dried split peas
2 quarts water
1 large or 2 medium onions, diced
2 carrots, sliced
3-4 ribs celery, sliced
1 (8 ounce) package vegan Canadian bacon style slices (I use Yves Canadian Bacon), chopped (optional)
1-2 tablespoons vegan powdered broth (I like the vegan chicken flavor)
salt and pepper, to taste

What you do: 

1. Put ingredients in a crockpot. Add more water as necessary for the consistency you like.
2. Cook on high to get it hot, if you have time, then lower to low or medium low. Don't fill the pot too full; this can foam up.
3. Then stir, adjust seasonings and serve. If you like it smooth, take out 1/4-1/2 of the soup and blend, add back, and stir.
All this needs is some good vegan bread, or even corn bread and supper is ready!'

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I used all organic vegetables, as well as organic vegetable broth to make this.  I left out the meat substitute, added Bay leaves, basil and a bit of rosemary while cooking. The soup is fantastic. Several years ago when I ate meat this was my all time favorite soup. With this recipe, I'd never eat it with ham again. 

0 likes

I loved it! Turned out great, our whole family loved it, and we had leftovers :)

0 likes

This recipe is simple but it's also really good and it makes a lot of soup! I've tried split pea soup in the past, but never been able to get it right before this. I left out the fake meat (I'm trying to eat less processed food) and used the liquid smoke instead and it was fine, but I may try tempeh in the future.

@Cryphgirl - did you soak your peas overnight before cooking them? I did and they were fine.

0 likes

Tried this, but unfortunately my split peas had the HTC defect, so they didn't soften. Will try again with better split peas.

0 likes

Wonderful and oh so easy!!  Thank you!  I left out the meat and added a couple drops of liquid smoke, took roughly six hours.

0 likes

how long does this take to cook?

0 likes

This recipe was good~ ;)b The only thing I changed, was adding tempeh instead of the St. Yves vegetarian slices. :)

0 likes

I left out the fake meat and used liquid smoke to give it that smokey undertone. Very good!

0 likes

very easy, cheap and satisfying. i used vegan 'chicken' broth and left out the celery and carrots. it took about four hours in the crock pot on high. i will freeze the remainder in little containers for my work lunches.

0 likes

K, I will try that . I've done that in the past-just seem like there was something missing in it.I will learn to do w/o.

0 likes

Pages