You are here

Member since April 2003

Home Late Veggie Soup for One

What you need: 

1/2 small onion, chopped
2 tablespoon veggie stock or water (from 2 Cups below)
2 teaspoon Italian herbs or othr fav. herb mix
2 Cups veggie stock or water
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, onion salt, soy sauce,
or none if the stock is salty
3/4 Cup frozen veggies, any combination
1 teaspoon herb mix used above
1/4 Cup instant potato flakes
dash of peper to season

What you do: 

Chop onion, toss into small saucepan with 1 Tbsp stock and 2 tsp herbs, && steam/saute, adding the other Tbsp of stock when needed to prevent sticking, while getting the other ingredients together.
When onion is lightly colored, add remaining stock && salt && bring to the boil. Add remaining ingredients, stir well, && simmer until the vegies are tender (anywhere from 2 (peas) to 10 (green beans, lima beans) minutes). Add pepper && serve.
Enjoy with some whole grain vegan bread :)
Because the cooking time is so short, you really need the extra herbs to get much flavor.
Instant potato flakes as soup is comfort food for me. When I was little, my mother used to make potato soup with flakes and broth when we were sick.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Lovely! There was more than I expected, but I still ate it all! At the end I stirred in some soy margarine and had lots of nut. yeast on top. The fat boosted the taste drastically and the nut. yeast is an important addition.
Served it with pitta bread and mozzarella (cheese seems to go great with this recipe).
I'll be making this a lot. Thanks!

0 likes

This is simmering right now.
Instead of the potato flakes I've added quartered cooked potatoes. Have also added a large stick of celery (sauteed with the onion), a small sliced carrot, frozen spinach, bit of tomato puree and will add sweetcorn and peas at the end. I've put in about 1 3/4 cup of stock.. that's perhaps too much, but I don't think I'll mind at the end. For the herbs: touch of rosemary, lot of basil, parsley, oregano, touch of mint and very little herbs de provence.
I plan to add some nut. yeast at the end too, to thicken it a bit like the flakes would have.
I think this is a really good recipe, which I'll stick to and use frequently from now on! Thanks a lot :)

0 likes