Good & Spicy Chili

What you need: 

2 (15 ounce) cans dark kidney beans
2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans
2 (15 ounce) cans chili beans
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
1 large tomato, diced
1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
1-2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, minced (I use pickled)
2 tablespoons jalapeno juice
1/2 cup lentils, optional
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon mild chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

What you do: 

1. Place all the ingredients in crockpot.
2. Cook 6-8 hours on low.
I like to get mine ready in the morning and let it cook all day on low. When I come home, its ready! Cornbread is a must with this. Be careful, this can be very spicy! You may want to adjust the amount of jalapeno juice.

Preparation Time: 
8 hours
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
6-8
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This has been my go-to chili recipe for years! i absolutely love it. I've brought it to parties and potlucks and someone always ends up asking me for the recipe. Usually a non-veg! I only make a few changes, but i don't think they take away from the original recipe. I never have lentils so i always leave those out, usually no pinto beans either, so i just use extra black, kidney or sub in cannelini.  I've even used a 12-bean mix and it was incredible.  i typically add more jalapenos and jalapeno juice because it's never really that spicy to me, and i'm somewhat of a spice wuss. Anyways, i just love, love, love this recipe. When i'm trying to sneak in extra veggies (for kids) i grate an entire zucchini into this and it makes it even thicker. so delicious! 

0 likes

Dynamite recipe!  I had non-veggie friends over for dinner and they had no idea this recipe was vegan!  I took the advice of of Haseleah (one of the commentors) and added green pepper,  a little cinnamon, about 1/2 cup of TVP.  I also added a can of tomato paste, only because I accidently opened it instead of tomato sauce....oops.  This is definitely a keeper!

0 likes

This chili recipe was really terrific...I made a few additions...I added 1/2 cup dry lentils, 1 cup tvp, and 1/2 each chopped yellow and red pepper and 1/2 tsp cinnamon...I woke up early on a Sunday morning to the smell of this chili cooking in my crock pot....YUM!!  I shared with my daughter...this recipe makes a lot, and I agree, if you can't share, freezing would definitely be an option..thanks for this recipe!

0 likes

a question, is it normal to eat this alone or do you eat chili with rice?

On a side note, the consumption of rice and beans in tandem provides all your essential amino acids.  So eating it with rice is not only delicious, but quite good for you. 

0 likes

So I've got this on the stove cooking now and it looks beautiful :) !  It smells great, too.  For a little variety I substituted the pinto beans for black beans since the chilli beans are pinto beans anyway and it looks so pretty lol.  I also added some TVP for nutrition and to make it a bit heartier.  I gave it a taste and it's very yummy.  I plan to serve this with vegan cheese and buttered bread.  MmmmmMMMmmmm!!!

0 likes

I can't wait to try this recipe with some cornbread. Yummmm!

Thank you so much and yes I am going to make this one soon damn it looks/sound good :)

0 likes

I can't wait to try this recipe with some cornbread. Yummmm!

0 likes

a question, is it normal to eat this alone or do you eat chili with rice?

0 likes

Great chili!  I made a couple of changes to the recipe due to not having the correct ingredients, but overall some of the best tasting chili I have ever eaten.  Well done!

0 likes

This was great! I was making it during my lunch break, so I didn't get to put it in a crock pot to slow cook... but I bet that would be better! Nonetheless, this is was great! My omni boyfriend liked it a lot, too.

I made a few changes:
--Instead of lentils, I added a can of black beans.
--some extra spices (oregano, basil, extra garlic, sage, nutritional yeast)
--I added some corn.

I'm going to try to freeze the extras, because this made a lot and there are only two of us. Thanks! I'll be making this again.

0 likes

Pages