Black Bean Chili with Textured Soy Protein

What you need: 

1 large chopped onion
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup grated carrot
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 cup dry textured soy protein (chunk-type has best texture)
2 15 oz cans (or 3 cups cooked) black beans
3 15 oz cans crushed tomatoes
tomato juice, add if you like a thinner chili
salt and pepper to taste

What you do: 

Saute onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in olive oil until crisp tender. Add chili powder and cumin, saute for a minute more. Add cans of crushed tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil -- add some tomato juice if the veggies are too thick. Rehydrate the textured soy protein; you can use water, and add fake chicken powder (available at your friendly neighborhood NFS!) to increase flavor. Add this to chili, along with the black beans (be sure to rinse canned beans). Simmer as long as you like (but at least 15 min). Add tomato juice (or water, if you're from texas and thus anti-tomato) because even rehydrated textured soy protein will soak up all the liquid. Add salt and pepper to taste, and Tabasco sauce can be yummy if you used mild chili powder. A half teastoon of balsamic vinegar is also good, if you think the chili needs more acid.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

A great chili recipe. I added liquid smoke for some more authentic-ness. In fact, I used it as a homemade chili dog topping with plenty leftover for lunches! Thanks.

0 likes

Hey, will this taste very different with red beans?

0 likes

I bought some textured soy protein and didn't know what to do with it, so I came across this recipe and WOW.  So good.  I didn't have  any celery so I used a parsnip and I added extra cumin and chili.  Served it with a spoonful of sour cream on top.  It's amazing.

0 likes