You are here

Member since April 2003

Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili

What you need: 

2 onions, chopped (I use all organic)
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large lime (or 2 small), zest and juice (juice divided)
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2" cubes
2 tablespoons mixed spices (I use cumin, chile powder, cinnamon, and cocoa powder)
1/2-1 cup water, as needed
1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped
4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed
2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chiles
2 chipotle chiles (canned chipotle in adobo sauce), chopped
1 bunch cilantro, chopped leaves

What you do: 

1. Saute garlic and onions in olive oil on low-medium heat untill limp. Add lime zest, sweet potatoes, 1/2 lime juice, and spices and cook covered for 15 minutes (add a little water or olive oil if the mixture starts to stick to the bottom).
2. Add tomatoes, black beans, green chiles, chipotle chiles, and cilantro; cook until sweet potatoes are tender.
3. Add remaining lime juice and more spices to taste if necessary, and simmer covered for 10 minutes, adding more water if needed.
Serve with brown basmati rice and vegan sour cream!!!

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This chili just isn't doing it for me. I don't know if it's the lime, the cilantro, or the combination of the two, but it's way too citrusy. I think it's the cilantro, and I didn't even use that much. Maybe I just have an aversion to it that I wasn't aware of, but I can't imagine this chili being good even without it. Bummer.

0 likes

i have had my eye on this one for some time. I finally had all ingredients so I went for it and was not let down. It tastes so good!
this is what i did to personalize the recipe:
-halved the recipe
-used fresh tomatoes and 2 fresh jalepenos
-used 2 chipotles because the jalepenos weren't spicy enough
-made my own tofu sour cream
-served over brown basmati, but I feel it wasnt neccesary to serve over rice, the chili is good enough to stand on its own, although the sour cream elevates this dish into chili-hall-of-fame.
its a keeper!
thank you :)

0 likes

Really good chili. I made it for my apartment and all my roommates really liked it.

I added some soymilk, raw carob powder, a little cinammon, and powdered stevia. The mixture of sweet and spicy is perfect! Also I substituted just regular red bell peppers. It turned out a bit more liquidy with the added soymilk but over rice, it was perfect!

0 likes

Made this yesterday for dinner and it was delicious!! Hubby and I had the rest tonight for dinner and I think it tasted even better! We will be making this one again!  Thank you!  :)>>>

0 likes

I suppose i should have assumed the greatness of this chili from all the other comments on it but, guess what? THIS IS THE BEST CHILI I HAVE EVER HAD and one of my new favorites from vegweb. Thanks so much! This will feed my grandchildrens mouths (in  40-60 years when i have them!)!!!

0 likes
0 likes

This was so good. I had roasted a bunch of veggies before I made this so I threw in a roasted red pepper & roasted garlic. I took this to a non-vegan/vegetarian family dinner and everyone loved it. I inow the leftovers are gonna be great too. This one's a keeper.

0 likes

i halved this and tried to make it in the slow cooker, but it did not seem to translate well. :(  i couldn't find chipotle chiles at my store (which was what i was really looking forward to cooking with!) and the lime taste was really strong.  i must have added too much, or the all day cooking really enhanced the flavor; it seemed like i was eating lime soup. is it supposed to be one of the most prominent flavors in the dish?  my husband did like the recipe, but i did not.  with all the rave reviews,  i hope to try this again some time staying more true to the recipe as written. 

0 likes
Anonymous

WOW!!! This is SOOO GOOD! And I'm still eating on it almost two weeks later. I like mine with a little Veginase in it; but it's good as is. REALLY GOOD. As in.... I'll be making it many, many times!!
THANK YOU FOR THIS RECIPE!  ;)b

0 likes

This was a great recipe.  we are trying to avoid all salt in my house, so i cooked my own beans and used fresh peppers instead of the canned jalapenos and chipoltes.  I used on tblsp chili and 1 tblsp cumin and 1 tps cocoa - first time i tried it in chili.  It was still very good, and it had a balanced, spicy, just a bit of heat  and a very nice overall flavor.  There are only 2 of us, so we will be eating this for a couple of days. 

0 likes

Pages