You are here

Member since April 2003

Brazilian Black Bean Soup

What you need: 

2 cups dried black beans (canned if prefered)
8 cups water
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup diced white onion
1/4 cup chopped green onion
2 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon caribe or another ground hot pepper
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste

What you do: 

If using dried beans, place beans in a large pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Simmer for 2 hours and drain.
Place beans in a large pan and add 8 cups water, garlic, salt, white onions, cumin, ground chile and lime juice. Tie cloves in cheese cloth for easy removal if desired. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender and soup is thick.
Mix in green onions and serve with lime wedge.
This is a low-fat meal but its very delicious.

Preparation Time: 
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
4-6
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Yummy.  I like the lime juice addition.  Can't wait to try it this weekend.

0 likes

I agree with the others who said it would be a bit bland following the recipe, so I doubled everything except the water and added a few (3?) vegan bullion cubes. The result was a thick, hearty soup that will be fabulous once the weather gets colder! My favorite part of this might be the amazing smells that have been lingering around my kitchen since this morning. :)>>>

0 likes

This was pretty good.  I did mine in the pressure cooker, using pre-soaked beans.  I also used broth instead of water, added 2 bay leaves, used about 1 Tbsp cumin because I love it, and probably close to 3/4 cup each of white and green onion (I didn't actually measure).  I think it would have been a bit bland if I made it as written.  I served it with diced avocado and cilantro on top.

0 likes