You are here

Member since April 2003

Tomato and White Bean Soup

What you need: 

2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup thinly chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 (14.5 oz) cans whole tomatoes, undrained & chopped (crushe'd is OK)
1 (16 oz) cans cannellini or other white beans, drained
approximately 2 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon chopped parsley (fresh or dried)
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

What you do: 

In this recipe, it is easier if you prepare everything at the beginning of the recipe because you won't have time to stop.
Chop onions, crush garlic, chop tomatoes if using whole ones, drain beans, and measure broth, parsley, oregano, and pepper. Heat oil in a large fry pan (preferably non-stick) over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute 4 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, beans, vegetable stock, parsley, oregano, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Serve hot, or save for later (it still tastes great!). A nice loaf of vegan bread completes the meal.
All I know for nutrition is that this soup is full of protein and fiber (from the beans), and low fat (the only thing that's fattening is the olive oil, and that's good fat). This recipe is a great, warm, satisfying winter meal for even non-vegetarians (my own meat-eating family loved it!).

Preparation Time: 
30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
4-5
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I have to say I bit apprehensive about this soup but it's absolutely delicious and tastes so much better that I thought it would. I'm feeling a bit under the weather at the moment and this has really picked me up :) I added a dash of chilli powder which gives it a little kick of heat, which worked really well!
Thanks for posting - great recipe, will definitely make again!

0 likes

great soup!  i'm feeling quite sick today and needed a pick-me-up...and soup sounded amazing. most of the appeal of this particular recipe was the fact that I pretty much had to do NOTHING. chopped some onions and that was pretty much all the labor. used two cans 14.5oz diced organic no-salt added tomatoes and i was good to go! also didn't have any dried parsley on hand, so i left it out. still tastes great! if you love tomatoes, you should definitely make this!  ;)b

0 likes

I'm not really a 'soup person' but this soup is amazing!

0 likes