You are here

Member since August 2005

Lemon Pearl Couscous with Tomato and White Beans

What you need: 

1 to 1 1/2 cubes vegetarian bouillon
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups pearl couscous (also known as Israeli couscous)
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can navy or white beans
7 1/2 ounces canned diced tomatoes
salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or plain basil, rosemary, or oregano)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided

What you do: 

1. In a small pot, boil water with bouillon. When the water is boiling, add pearl couscous. Cover with lid and lower heat.
2. In a separate pan, heat olive oil and begin sauteing onion and garlic. When onion is translucent and browning, add beans and tomatoes.
3. While mixing, add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Also add about 1/2 the lemon juice. Mix until everything is cooked evenly.
4. Once the pearl couscous has cooked (no water is left in pot), mix the contents of the pan in. Add the remaining lemon juice, and season to taste.
My non-veg friends love this recipe, and they always request I make it. It's simple to prepare and cook, and can be modified with different beans and spices. You can find the pearl couscous in the bulk aisle at health food stores, or at any middle eastern store (where it's probably labeled as Israeli couscous). Enjoy!
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.

Preparation Time: 
5 minutes, Cooking time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 
15 minutes
Servings: 
3 to 4
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

This turned out delicious! This is a new favorite recipe for sure.  :-)

0 likes

This was so easy to prepare and was absolutely excellent. I added red pepper flakes to kick it up a little bit and otherwise stuck with the recipe. Highly recommend!

0 likes