You are here

Member since August 2009

Potato Leek Soup

What you need: 

1 medium onion, chopped finely
4 small leeks or 3 medium ones, chopped finely (use white parts mostly)
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 medium potatoes, peeled and finely sliced
3 cups water (the water should almost cover the ingredients)
salt and pepper, to taste

What you do: 

1. In a large pot, add the olive oil and saute the onions and leeks for two minutes. For leeks, you may use the green part, but this will change the flavour of the soup; you can use the green foliage of the leeks in a stir fry. Add the potatoes to the pot, and also the water.
2. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until cooked (potatoes are soft) Remove the pot from heat. If you have a hand blender, let the soup cool and then blend until smooth. You may wish to reheat the soup. Season with salt and pepper.
3. If you do not have a hand blender, with a ladle, scoop up the chunky parts and process in a blender or food processor until smooth. You may need to do this in two parts, so have a bowl ready in which to transfer processed soup. Once all the soup is processed, mix it to the liquid left in the pot, and add pepper and salt.
Source of recipe: My recipe; learned how to make potato leek soup before I was vegan. This recipe is a simplified and vegan version.

Preparation Time: 
15 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 
15 minutes
Servings: 
5-6
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I just made this for the second time, and agree this is an excellent base recipe.  I added some dill and mustard both times and it was perfectly delicious, just as you'd expect a yummy Potato Leek Soup to be.

Thanks for the recipe!

0 likes

I followed everything exact except that I left it a bit on the chunky side for the potatoes but that's just a personal preference.
Yum yum yum all the way home!!

0 likes

Great base recipe! The veggie bouillon that everyone seems to be using is definitely a good call. I also added a dollop of mustard and some dill for flavour, and a splash of soy milk to make it look a little less watery (if not blending).

Thanks!

0 likes

Very yummy.  Like others before me I used veggie stock instead of water and I also added garlic and thyme for that French flavor.

0 likes

I used veg stock instead of water and added 3 cloves of diced garlic plus dill. I also added a little soy milk to thin it out. Awesome soup!

0 likes

Thank you everyone for all the positive feedback :)

0 likes

Fantastic!

0 likes

Good Recipe!! I found it a little bland but a little Jazzing up it's great!
Thank you for the recipe.

0 likes

A nice simple recipe!  Came home from work exhausted but needed some easy to prepare comfort food! I'm glad I chose this recipe! Followed the recipe exactly! Thank you for submitting this!

0 likes

:)>>>

This was sooo good and the recipe couldn't have been any easier!! Thank you so much for this, I have plenty of warm winter nights ahead of me now!!!
I followed everything exact except that I left it a bit on the chunky side for the potatoes but that's just a personal preference.
Yum yum yum all the way home!!

0 likes

Pages