You are here

Member since November 2005

Mom's Banana Bread Made Vegan

What you need: 

1 cup of sugar (I use Florida crystals)
1/2 cup of butter substitute (Earth Balance)
egg substitute for 2 eggs (2 tablespoons of flax, ground up works well, and 6 tablespoons
of water)
3 bananas (though 2 will work)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups of flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla

What you do: 

Put all of the above ingredients into a bowl and beat together with a mixer until smooth. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for roughly 45 minutes at 325 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean. It may take slightly longer to cook than 45 minutes.
This recipe works well at both sea level and higher altitudes (I usually add an extra bit of flour for cooking at altitude).

Preparation Time: 
10 minutes + 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

AMAZING!! I loved it! I just posted it on my blog

0 likes

I made these into muffins, baked for 25 mins at 325, they came out perfectly! My alterations:

1 cup of Coconut Sugar (Vanilla flavored) instead of Flordia crystals

1/4 cup coconut oil + 1/4 cup EB butter

2 bananas (all I had left)

Used White Whole Wheat Flour 

Added a handful of walnuts to half the batch

These are scrumptious :) Very moist and not too sweet. I will try reducing sugar to 3/4 cups next time to make them healthier and will sub EB completely with coconut oil. I would've liked a third banana and some cinnamon in the mix but was fresh out. Will try this with almond or coconut flour next time because I'm trying to stay away from wheat products. Thanks for the simple and yummy recipe :)

0 likes

these are super delicious and a great way to share being vegan with non vegans yumtastic :)

0 likes

Fabulous! I thought this rivaled my grandmother's recipe!  I did use half canola oil and half earth balance. I also used half all purpose flour and half fresh ground whole wheat. I'm from the South and banana bread MUST include nuts so I added 1/2 cup chopped pecans.  My husband thought it perfect, next time I will use less sugar. A little sweet for me. It took over an hour to bake for me but my grandmother's recipe took even longer. Great recipe!

0 likes

Here's what I did to make it my own:

* 1/2 c. white sugar, 1/2 c. organic brown sugar 

* oil instead of earth balance (none on hand at time of baking)

* added about 1 tsp. cinnamon

* added about 1/2 c. walnut pieces  

* used muffin pan instead of loaf pan, decreased cook time to 25 or so min.

Super delicious, even in batter form :) 

0 likes

-half brown sugar, half stevia
-used 1/4 c oil + some applesauce instead of EB
-only two bananas
-only 1 flax egg
-added 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and some nutmeg
-lots of walnuts

YUMMY  ;)b  I baked for 50 minutes and it turned out moist, perfect sweetness - was a hit with the omni family, literally gone within 5 minutes. 
Wiill be making again. 

0 likes

I added half a cup of chocolate chips, because my mom always made chocolate chip banana bread. This was better than her old recipe!

0 likes

I really liked this recipe! I made it into little muffins and used 1/4 c. Agave instead of maple syrup but stuck to everything else.
I love the way it tastes and it was so easy and fast to make.
Thanks!  :)>>>

0 likes

I made these in the morning and sent my son off to school with a piping hot, straight out of the oven muffin... He was so happy!  (I turned them into muffins, so that it would be easier to travel with...) Thank you for the wonderful recipe! 

BTW... I usually (as much as possible) don't try to alter the recipes to feel the full effect of the original recipe, but I  (1.) turned them into muffins, (2.) added a tsp of cinnamon to the batter... They were amazing (so I've heard)... they were gobbled all up before I got to taste any!

0 likes

My family loved this!  I used three bananas, about 3/4 c of sugar, unsweetened applesauce for the egg replacer and 1/2 butter flavored spread and 1/2 oil as was suggested in another review. It was great and smelled terrific while baking too!  Next time I think I'll cream the fats and sugar together first since mine didn't rise a whole lot, but it certainly did not alter the taste.

0 likes

Pages