1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 (15 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup vegetable stock
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
1 cup frozen corn or 1 (14 ounce) can mexicorn
salt and pepper, to taste

What you do: 

1. Cook rice according to package directions. Over medium high heat, heat olive oil until it ripples or it starts to waft a little smoke.
2. Add onions, peppers, and carrots and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add chili powder and cumin and cook 1-2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, vegetable stock, black beans, and corn, bring to a boil.
4. Turn heat down to medium or medium low and simmer for 15 minutes. Salt and pepper, to taste. Serve chili over the rice.
Source of recipe: I was playing around in the kitchen, and came up with a combo of a couple of recipes I had already, and it is the best vegan chili I have ever had.

Preparation Time: 
15 minutes, Cooking time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 
30 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I regret I didn't have the carrot or corn but I made it anyway!  Instead of getting the sweetness from the carrot and corn, I added brown sugar to taste and it worked out wonderfully.  Each bite starts off mellow with a hint of smokiness and then you get a kick at the back of your throat.  Did I mention that I subbed half of the chili with smoked chipolte chili? This added a depth to the beans that we all liked.  Because my 15 year old rolls his nose at whole chunks of tomatoes, I tend to use an immersion blender for half or all soups that include diced tomatoes.  After I did that the chili became rich and thick, just perfect for scooping over brown rice, which would be healthy, or in our case, over fritos.  I know, I know, this negates some nutritional value from this healthy soup but it gets my family to the table with a smile and a thumbs up.  Over time their taste buds will mature and grow to appreciate fruits and veggies on their own.  Until then, I compromise, compromise, compromise.  This recipe is going in the family cookbook.  I'm glad I doubled it so I can save half for a lazy night when I don't want to cook.

0 likes

I'm gonna try to make this, it looks so good!

0 likes

This tasted so good!

0 likes

The whole family enjoyed this. I followed the recipe exactly as is, but put it all in the crock pot, and used brown rice, like Sandra.  I needed to go to work for 6 hrs, and so I used the low setting on the crock pot.  It was too soupy and not very spicy, so...
Next time I would
1. use a little more chili pepper and cumin, and
2. I would use the concentrated veggie soup stock without adding the water.

0 likes

This was delicious :) I added a few different veggies and some corn starch to thicken it up a bit. I threw everything into the crock pot and cooked it on high for about 3 hours. It was great for freezing and really was delicious over brown rice.

0 likes