You are here

Member since August 2009

Vegan Patties like You've Never Had

What you need: 

3/4 cup nuts, chopped (I use almonds and cashews)
3/4 cup uncooked oatmeal
2 (15 ounce) cans refried beans
3 cups cooked rice
2 ounces soy sauce
1 to 2 tablespoons steak seasoning
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Creole seasoning, to taste, optional
taco seasoning, to taste, optional
oil, for frying

What you do: 

1. Add nuts, beans, and oatmeal to a large mixing bowl. Add rice to the bowl. Pour in soy sauce, trying not to let it soak into just the rice.
2. Mix together the ingredients by hand. When the mixture has been completely combined to make a paste, add seasonings. Steak seasoning is a must if you're trying to please meat eaters.
3. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning, as desired. Form into burgers and fry in a thin griddle on the stove. You don't need a whole lot of oil, but you do need some so they don't stick.
I cook this as meatloaf sometimes and fool omnis often. If you don't want to make a lot of burgers, you can freeze half of the mixture.
Happy eating!
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.

Preparation Time: 
35 minutes tops, Cooking time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 
5 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

Loved it! I made the basic recipe without the extra seasoning options because I wanted to try it in its truest form. This was super yummy. I kept wanting to eat the extra mix while I was frying the burgers. I used almonds for the nuts, and I didn't have any steak seasoning so I used a recipe clone from http://www.food.com/recipe/montreal-steak-seasoning-83902 . The only problem I had was that it came out a touch salty because I guesstimated the soy sauce, as I didn't have anything to measure in ounces. Even so, it was delicious. We will definitely make this again. I am curious about the post about baking it into meatloaf-- what temperature and for how long? It sounds good!

0 likes

I made it with walnuts and I loved it. It was so quick, easy and delicious! I couldn't believe how many burgers it made. Your number was accurate and my burgers were huge. Thanks for the amazing recipe!

0 likes

Wow! Awesome burgers! This is the first burger I've ever made, but it was awesome.  I halved the recipe and still got 10 burgers!  I added some bread crumbs and just used random seasonings that I had on hand.  Next time I might add some basil or something but overall I'm very happy with the outcome!  ;)b

0 likes

This works really well with leftover kheer ( Indian rice pudding ), dredged in besan ( chickpea flour), and Montreal style steak seasoning. :)>>>

0 likes

Katzveg - Dunno, I imagine they could be used for that! I'm going to make these this weekend, and I'll give it a go with a bit of the mixture and let you know how it turns out.

0 likes

quick question - think these could be made into "meatballs"?  my kids are asking for veggie meatballs, and this recipe looks so good. i think i may try and just form into balls instead, and either fry or bake. thoughts?

0 likes

Okay, I didn't use soy sauce because it aggravates my endometriosis, didn't use steak seasoning because I didn't have it, and I didn't have garlic powder so I just used taco seasoning. For some kick, I used Trader Joe's refried pinto beans salsa style. I was a bit skeptical when mushing it all together with my hands because it was so sticky. I added about half a cup of bread crumbs and a few tablespoons of flour and that helped a lot. I made them a bit too thick, they looked almost an inch thick! lol But they were still tasty. However, I put the rest of the mixture in the fridge and I have to say that they were WAY better the second day. First, the mixture smelled FABULOUS (like enchiladas or something), second it was sooo much easier to handle. I didn't even have to put flour on my hands to handle it. Plus, they tasted better because I made them a bit thinner, they came out a little less squishy. Cook time was really quick, on medium heat they only took about 5 minutes on each side to brown. I love how they form into nice patties and don't crumble. Oh, and I used sunflower seeds to save on costs like another poster. They were great! Has a nice little crunch. So all in all, I will definitely be using this recipe from now on. It makes a bunch, tastes great, refrigerates well, cooks easily and is very filling...thank you!!  ;)b

0 likes

These were fantastic! Everyone in the house LOVED them!!!  ;)b

0 likes

Also, in response to some previous posts, steak seasoning is a spice mix, sold in powder form in the spice section.  Maybe you could also use steak sauce as some people mentioned, but I assumed the recipe meant the powder.  It worked well for me!

0 likes

These were great!  I had almost given up on veggie burgers, because the ones I have made before contain mashed up beans, and then when I bake them they just dry out.  THESE are really good, although I halved the amount of soy sauce.  I also added fresh parsley because I had some.  I used steak seasoning, but only a little because it contained garlic powder and I had already added garlic powder.  Next time I will skip the plain garlic powder and just use MORE steak seasoning.  I put slices of swiss cheese on the finished burger, and I put A1 sauce on the bun.  so good!

0 likes

Pages