2 turnips, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 or 2 carrots, diced
2 cups cabbage, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (14 ounce) can cannellini beans
salt and pepper, to taste

What you do: 

1. For sweet potato topping, microwave potatoes and water in a covered dish on high for 6 to 8 minutes, until soft. Mash with milk, cooking water, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. For filling, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add leek, and sauté 5 to 6 minutes, or until leek is soft. Add 1 cup broth, turnips, carrot, celery, cabbage, and thyme; cook 10 minutes more, or until carrot begins to soften.
3. Stir in beans and remaining broth. Cover, and simmer 10 minutes, or until carrots and turnips are soft. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Pour filling into 2 or 3 quart casserole dish. Spread sweet potato topping over filling. Place casserole on baking pan. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until filling is bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Source of recipe: Inspired by a recipe on Vegetarian Times.

Preparation Time: 
30 minutes, Cooking time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 
45 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I really enjoyed this! Made a couple changes with the filling - just because I didn't have some of the ingredients.
- I replaced the leeks with a sweet yellow onion. (I really love leeks though and will try it with them next time.)
- I had no turnips, cabbage, or beans. (for sure will add next time.)
- I added cauliflower and peas.
- I thickened the broth with some cornstarch. I am glad I did this because otherwise it might have been too watery.
- For my seasonings I used oregano and 3 cloves of fresh garlic. (I LOVE garlic!) Oh and some black pepper!
Very easy to make and so good! Thanks!

0 likes

I see cheese in the directions, but not in the ingredients list...

Great catch...was a recipe I used before I became vegan...I now no longer have any cheese on things...tastes awesome without

0 likes

Hi I am currently making this and am super excited, although I was a bit confused by when to add broth.

Quote:
Add remaining broth, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in beans and broth. Cover, and simmer 10 minutes, or until carrots and turnips are soft. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.

The first mention of the broth is to add the remaining.. so I ended up throwing all the broth in at once and letting it simmer a little longer worried that I was supposed to put some in earlier.

0 likes

This freezes great! 

0 likes

You are right....I created this while I was still eating cheese.  If you want you can put veggie parm on top and cook...I don't use any and it is just wonderful.  Make sure your sweet potato mixture is not too dry so add a little more soymilk if it seems dry.  Let me know how you like it!

0 likes

0 likes