1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups water
1/4 cup vegan margarine
1 teaspoon mustard
2 (10-ounce) cans enchilada sauce
3 (14.5-ounce) cans beans, drained (e.g., white, kidney, pinto, black)
1 (15-ounce) can olives, drained and chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
1/2 cup salsa (optional)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
10 tortillas

What you do: 

1. "Cheese" Sauce: In medium-large saucepan, combine flour, nutritional yeast, salt and garlic powder. Whisk in water water. Heat on medium heat until bubbling and thick. Remove from heat and add margarine and mustard. Set aside 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce in separate container.
2. Except for 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce, add the enchilada sauce, beans, olives, onions, salsa, and tomato to the saucepan; stir to combine.
3. Coat the bottom of a 9" x 13" pan with some of the reserved enchilada sauce. Place a tortilla in the pan and lightly cover with more enchilada sauce. Spoon filling onto a tortilla, then roll the tortilla, and push it to one end of pan. Repeat until all tortillas are filled.
4. Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top and spread on reserved cheese sauce.
5. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until brown for 30 to 45 minutes.

Preparation Time: 
15 minutes, Cooking time: 30 to 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 
30 to 45 minutes
Servings: 
Recipe Category: 

SO HOW'D IT GO?

THis is DELICIOUS and filling, and makes SO much.  I simply love this dish.  I even showcased it on my own website, with all credit going to the OP. 

0 likes

Awesome!!! The only thing I changed was I used green sauce instead of red (just preference). My non-vegan/anti-vegan/make-fun-of-the-vegan friends LOVED IT!!!

0 likes

Oh my goodness! This is an AMAZING recipe! We made this today and it is the most scrumptious and lovely and awesome food ever! Thank you! We made so much of it we should have leftovers for a week, but there's no chance it will be around for that long! We added corn to the mix, which I highly recommend. This made me very happy.

0 likes

This is an AWESOME recipe! It makes so much that we have LOTS of leftovers for several days afterward. I also make my own black beans and enchilada sauce ahead of time because it's so easy and I don't want the extra additives and preservatives that you normally find in these canned foods (especially the enchilada sauce). There is a recipe here called Grandma Cotrez' Enchilada Sauce (http://www.vegweb.com/recipes/grandma-cotrezs-enchilada-sauce) and it is very easy and delish with this recipe!

0 likes

My husband is from Mexico, so he eats a lot of meat and mexican food and he loved this recipe!! I've been trying to get him off the meat, so yummy recipes like this one really helps.. I don't buy my tortillas, I always make them. My husband prefers corn, so I made corn tortillas instead of buying flour.

Instead of the regular enchilada sauce I love to use a green verde sauce, which is made from tomatillos. I always roll mine, because my husband needs to learn portion control. If he sees something rolled, he tends to eat less than if I made it like a lasagna or casserole. I topped it with another recipe from this site called, "Hey, this tastes like sour cream!" and advacados.

This is one of my favorite recipes now!!.. Thanks!!!

0 likes

This turned out great! My meat-eating boyfriend loved it as well. After reading some of the reviews I decided to layer the tortillas so I wouldn't have to worry about them unrolling. The prep time says 15 minutes but this took me a full hour! But that could be because I decided this recipe needed some more veggies so I added a yellow bell pepper, a green bell pepper, 6 white mushrooms and some jalapeno peppers. Next time I think I might add some zucchini and/or tomatoes. I used cans of black beans, pinto beans and kidney beans and I liked the variety. I only used one medium sized onion, not two.  The packet of tortillas I bought only came with 8 tortillas but that seemed like a decent amount. Will definitely be making this again soon!

0 likes

YUMMY!!! This is the first recipe I feel compelled to review. This was absolutely amazing. I made a huge pan and I made it like a lasagna, as some others did. The leftovers were awesome too. THANK YOU!!!!

0 likes

Yummy! I cut the recipe in half, used an 8x8 dish, and layered the tortillas to make a casserole (tortillas fit perfectly in this size dish!) I had to make some modifications though. I cut the olives in half, only used 4 tortillas, and had to reserve double the enchilada sauce so there was enough to coat both the bottom and top of the dish. This one is going in the recipe book :)

0 likes

I've been making these enchiladas for years now and thought I should finally review them - not that they need another review or anything, but I wanted to say thanks! :)

I used to make the recipe exactly as written, but these days I like to get experimental with the filling (potato/spinach, zucchini/mushroom, jackfruit, different kinds of beans, etc.), so it's mostly the "cheesy" topping and instructions for assembly and baking I still use.  Anyway, thank you for such a classic and adaptable recipe; it has become a regular in our house, and it never fails to please!

0 likes

^ i have never run into what you mentioned... maybe it's cause you made it a "lasagna" or it could be the extra veggies you added? i can visibly see mushrooms and those def add liquid... squash do as well... i would suggest following the recipe as is (even cutting it in half to be honest cause it makes so much) and then throwing your spin on it... good luck <3

0 likes

Pages