1 bunch kale (about 8 cups raw)
1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon onion powder
salt, to taste

What you do: 

1. Saute minced garlic in olive oil on medium-high heat until it turns golden brown, carefully as to not burn it.
2. Add the kale and stir, preferably with tongs to coat the kale in the oil and garlic. You may need to add a few tablespoon water.
3. After the kale has wilted a bit, add the garbanzo beans and cook for about 4 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
4. Begin mashing the chickpeas. I use a fork because I don't like them mashed too thoroughly; I still like some chunks. Garnish with some additional nutritional yeast or sesame seeds.
Source of recipe: I was making some kale and noticed that I had a can of chickpeas. I figured I might as well combine my two favorite vegetables. Ever.

Preparation Time: 
15 minutes
Cooking Time: 
Servings: 
3 to 4

SO HOW'D IT GO?

I love it!  This is the second time i've made it, and this time I added sauteed onion and mushrooms, used 1 tbsp soy and 1 tbsp braggs, i didn't mash the chickpeas because i used dry instead of canned, and they were already pretty soft from pressure cooking.  and I drizzled 1 tbsp lemon juice over top when it was ready to serve.  

0 likes

OMG this was SO good and SO easy to make! It's the perfect lazy Saturday afternoon meal for when I get home from the farmer's market. I'm going to try it with red kale next week and see how that tastes :)

0 likes

I made this randomly because it seemed quick and easy, and I had all the ingredients on hand. IT WAS FANTASTIC. I will be making this all the time. Thank you!

0 likes

We have been trying to incorporate more kale into our diet as I feel as if I have shunned kale most of my life.  Sorry kale!  This recipe was delicious!  I did take a previous reviewer's advice and I chopped an onion and cooked it with the kale and used curry and cumin for the seasoning.  Instead of soy I used Braggs, but it was fantastic overall and we ate almost the entire amount without a single complaint about kale on the table.  Go kale!  ;)b

0 likes

This looks like a tasty way of eating kale ('cause I'm not really a fan)! So thank you, I will give it a go and let you know how it turned out!

0 likes

Not bad!  I did this up with no onion at all & it was fine .  .  .  Next time might mash the chickpeas to rough paste before adding to the kale, since finished dish looked somewhat confused.

0 likes

OH MAN!! This was good! I strayed from the recipe a bit because my internet connection was choppy when I actually went to follow it. I cooked off an onion for about 20 minutes in the pan before so it was all soft and a bit sweet, then added garlic and the kale (less than called for because it was all I had), then the nutritional yeast. I didn't add the Italian seasoning or the onion powder and I used less soy sauce. I did add some sesame oil, cumin, sesame seeds and cayenne. So good! Later I'll cook off some quinoa to have for lunch tomorrow...I suspect it will be just as good cold. Thanks!

0 likes

I just ate two platefuls of this for lunch today, it was so good! The closest thing I had to Italian seasoning was Mrs. Dash, but it worked well. I skipped the onion powder (didn't have it) and served it over some leftover couscous.

0 likes

I liked this recipe--it was hearty enough to be eaten alone, I didn't have to make a grain to go with it (although I think it will taste really nicely on a toasted piece of bread). I'll definitely make it again, but only use one tbsp of soy sauce (it's just too salty otherwise). Also, I included some chopped onions and will probably increase that to one small onion the next time I make the dish.

0 likes

Delicious! I didn't have thyme, so I used some Italian seasoning. Probably would be better with just thyme, but I absolutely loved it anyway!

0 likes

Pages