You are here

Dogs with renal failure from raisins

A friend of mine just e mailed me with sad news from her friends in Memphis.  Their lab ate half a canister of raisins and went into acute renal failure and died. The National Animal Poison Center  said that as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. A lot of people give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats.  I know our dog loves grapes.  Has anyone else ever heard of this? 

Wow, this is a new one on me! We used to give our dog the occasional grape, but they had to be peeled, so she only ever got one or two. Never offered her raisins...mind you she would even take nasty stinky meds if we acted like we were eating them...not so much her preference as the desire to be in on things!

0 likes

I didn't know about raisins.  Have never given any of my critters one.  I have heard people say that about grapes but my dogs have always eaten grapes.  Organic with skins on.  I always cut them in half because my fear was always of them swallowing them and choking.  Of course, they only ever get one or two at a time.

My holistic vet said animals can eat a lot of things when on a home cooked diet because their immune systems are healthier.  My dogs have eaten chocolate too but I rarely have chocolate in the house because I don't crave it.  Again, just a tiny amount.  Really tiny as I know it isn't the healthiest of food. 

The dog I had for 17 years, my first dog loved my mom's chocolate chip cookies and although I don't remember, I probably gave Mickey a few over his lifetime.  You know, little kid eating cookie...dog getting some.  AND, Mickey ate really crap pet food.

When Mickey was about 15, he found my friend's 1 pound solid chocolate Easter Bunny and ate the whole thing.  He was sick but just one large puke.  Thank goodness because I am sure it could have been way worse. 

Back to raisins, wouldn't even strike me not to give the dog one if I was having one.  Next time I go to my holistic vet, I will ask her about raisins and grapes.  I should be up there in the next 2 or 3 weeks as she wants to see Cali's progress.  Will report what she says at that time.

Di

0 likes

Quote:
The dog I had for 17 years, my first dog loved my mom's chocolate chip cookies and although I don't remember, I probably gave Mickey a few over his lifetime.  You know, little kid eating cookie...dog getting some.  AND, Mickey ate really crap pet food.

Not knowing better at the time, and never having heard it was dangerous for a dog....Our family dog Puffy that I grew up with loved "Chips Ahoy" choc. chip cookies. He probably ate thousands throughout his life. He lived to be 15. I would never give my dogs chocolate now, but i really do think it depends on the dog. There are some dogs that can eat a whole onion and be fine, others can eat a tiny little piece and get deathly ill. From all i have read.....nobody can explain why. So my advice is...best to avoid giving any of that stuff and not find out the hard way. There's no shortage of great healthy treats we can give our pets......like a big mac!...just remove the onions....uhg!

0 likes
Log in or register to post comments

More Posts Like This