Is it bad to eat the gills of the (portabella) mushroom? by Monique N. Gilbert
Is it bad to eat the gills of the (portabella) mushroom?
By Monique N. Gilbert, B.Sc.
Bachelor of Science degree, Certified Personal Trainer/Fitness Counselor, Health Advocate, Recipe Developer, Soy Food Connoisseur and the author of: Virtues of Soy: A Practical Health Guide and Cookbook.
This is an archived Q&A. The following information might not be up-to-date.
Question: Is it bad to eat the gills of the (portabella) mushroom?
Answer: No, eating the gills of a portabella mushroom or any of the edible mushrooms is neither bad nor unhealthy. Some chefs prefer to remove the gills because they tend to give a dark and muddy look to sauces made with them. However, other chefs feel that much of the mushroom's flavor resides in its gills. I personally keep them on in my cooking. I try never to waste any edible part of any fruit, vegetable or mushroom.
So, unless you are concerned about the appearance of a light-colored sauce, you do not need to remove the gills of the portabella mushroom. However, if you do decide to remove the gills of the mushroom, I suggest that you set them aside and use them to make an excellent brown mushroom gravy.
Portabella mushrooms have a high water content, consisting of about 92% water and approximately 26 calories per 100 grams. These mushrooms are relatively high in protein (2.5 g), and contain a wide range of essential amino acids. They are low in fat (0.2 grams) and high in fiber (1.5 grams). Portabella mushrooms also provide several vitamins and minerals. In particular: niacin (4.5 mg), pantothenic acid (1.5 mg), folate (22 mcg), potassium (484 mg), phosphorus (130 mg), selenium (11 mcg) and magnesium (11 mg).
To learn more about the health-promoting effects of mushrooms, visit the Fungi Perfecti website at www.fungi.com - it's an good source for information about medicinal and gourmet edible mushrooms.
Be the first to add a comment.