You are here

Children's Health danger, NVR

This info was sent to me by a friend, she knows the little girl this happened to - it's not an urban legend. Thought those of you who have kids would want to know. I changed/removed identifying names.

Ok. I don't know where to begin because the last 2 days of my life have been such a blur. Yesterday, My youngest daughter, Amber, who is 4, was rushed to the emergency room by her father for being severely lethargic and incoherent. He was called to her school by the school secretary for being "very VERY sick." He told me that when he arrived that Amber was barely sitting in the chair. She couldn't hold her own head up and when he looked into her eyes, she couldn't focus them.

He immediately called me after he scooped her up and rushed her to the ER. When we got there, they ran blood test after blood test and did x-rays, every test imaginable. Her white blood cell count was normal, nothing was out of the ordinary. The ER doctor told us that he had done everything that he could do so he was sending her to Community Hospital for further test.

Right when we were leaving in the ambulance, her teacher had come to the ER and after questioning Amber 's classmates, we found out that she had licked hand sanitizer off her hand. Hand sanitizer, of all things. But it makes sense. These days they have all kinds of different scents and when you have a curious child, they are going to put all kinds of things in their mouths.

When we arrived at Community Hospital, we told the ER doctor there to check her blood alcohol level, which, yes we did get weird looks from it but they did it. The results were her blood alcohol level was 85% and this was 6 hours after we first took her. There's no telling what it would have been if we would have tested it at the first ER.

Since then, her school and a few surrounding schools have taken this out of the classrooms of all the lower grade classes but what's to stop middle and high schoolers too? After doing research off the internet, we have found out that it only takes 3 squirts of the stuff to be fatal in a toddler. For her blood alcohol level to be so high was to compare someone her size to drinking something 120 proof. So please PLEASE don't disregard this because I don't ever want anyone to go thru what my family and I have gone thru.

Today was a little better but not much. Please send this to everyone you know that has children or are having children. It doesn't matter what age. I just want people to know the dangers of this.

OMG thanks for posting this! I would have thought it was an urban legend...
I had no idea...
"3 squirts is fatal to a toddler"  :o

This is one of the only "chemically" things we keep in the house.... because I guess I never thought about it before!
I don't even use it... DH just got in the habit of using it in Iraq. I will definately treat it as a dangerous chemical now though and not leave it in kitchen drawers ETC. and will NEVER allow the fruity scented kind in the house.
Thanks again!

0 likes

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp

Snopes says it's true.  Interesting.

0 likes

Snopes says it is TRUE.
Thanks usually I do look at snopes but this time I took Anna's word for it.

If you continue reading on snopes you will see the actual origins of the story with real names.

eek scary.

0 likes

I don't have any children, but I have friends with kids.  I think everyone should read this post, so I'm bumping it back to the top of the stack.  Thanks for the information.

0 likes
Log in or register to post comments